Essential Travel Information

We hope you are looking forward to your holiday and we’d like to thank you for booking with Ski Independence. Before you travel, please take some time to read through the information below. If you have any questions about any aspect of your holiday arrangements, please contact us on 0131 243 8097 or at [email protected].

You will receive your holiday documents in the post roughly two weeks prior to departure. If you haven’t received your documents by this time, please let us know.

Before You Travel

Passports and Visas

British citizens need a valid passport to enter France, Switzerland and Italy. Your passport must meet two requirements.

     *It must be issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)

     *It must be valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

If you renewed your passport early, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 3 months needed. Please check if you are unsure or contact the relevant embassy. Currently there is no visa requirement for UK citizens to enter the countries listed above. It is your responsibility to ensure you meet the passport / visa requirements for the destination you are visiting.

Advance Passenger Information (APIS)

All passengers with flight bookings are required to supply Advance Passenger Information (passport details). Please send us your APIS information prior to departure using our online form

Travel Insurance

Under no circumstances should you travel without comprehensive winter sports insurance. You and all members of your party must be adequately insured for your ski holiday risks. Due to government regulations, we are unable to recommend a policy to you.


It is strongly recommended that you have either an EHIC (European Health Card) or GHIC (Global Health Card) when travelling to Europe. These cards allow you to get emergency medical treatment for the same cost as a resident of the country you're visiting. Failure to carry one may lead to problems with your insurance cover. Please note the EHIC / GHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both when you travel. If your EHIC is still in date, you do not need to apply for a new GHIC. If your EHIC has expired, please apply for a GHIC here

Holidays With Flights

The names on the booking confirmation and flight documentation must bear the same first name and surname as your passport. Contact us immediately if this is not the case as you could be denied boarding at the airport.

Holidays With Car Hire

It is essential that the lead driver and each additional driver take their full UK photo driving licence and have a valid credit card in their name. You must also have a copy of your DVLA driver record which can be generated at (valid for 21 days). If you have a paper driving licence (rather than a photocard) or a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man, you may need to apply for an international driving permit. Full details can be found at

Self-Drive Holidays in Europe

Please ensure you are aware of all relevant rules in relation to driving in the continent before you depart. Full information can be found at

Please see the Holidays With Car Hire section above with some information about driving licences. You do not need a green card when you drive in the EU or Switzerland as long as you have a valid UK vehicle insurance policy. You must take your vehicle log book with you or apply for a VE103 if taking a hired or leased vehicle abroad. You must display a UK sticker on your vehicle (GB stickers are no longer accepted).

An emergency warning triangle and luminous vest are compulsory in France, as is the requirement to carry snow chains. You may have to fit snow chains in the dark so it is advisable to carry a torch and shovel as a precaution. For a full updated list of compulsory equipment to take, please see the AA’s website here. Please note that radar warning devices are banned on the continent and being found with one in your car, even if switched off, can result in a fine.

Whichever resort you select, you are likely to be travelling on toll roads. If your journey takes you into Switzerland, you will need to buy a ‘Vignette’ which is a one-off form of road tax and allows you to use the motorways. This can be paid locally and costs approximately £35. Alternatively, you can call buy before you go online.

Self-catering Accommodation

In many of our self-catering apartments the end of stay cleaning is included, but this normally excludes the kitchen area. It is best to check with reception about what is expected to avoid money being deducted from your security deposit. Remember to contact reception the day before departure to arrange when they will check your apartment, return your security deposit and collect the keys.

During Your Stay

If you have any problems during your stay, please call us on +44 131 243 8097 during office hours. Outside office hours and in case of an emergency, we have senior member of staff on duty 24 hours, who can be contacted on +44 7788 711 373

FCDO Advice

We recommend that you stay up-to-date with current travel advice in the country you are visiting. You can sign up for country specific email alerts on the website: